Katy began singing as a chorister at St Mary’s Cathedral, Edinburgh, at the age of eight. She currently lives in London, studying singing with Janis Kelly at The Royal College of Music Opera Studio, where she is an H F Music Award Holder supported by the Rhoddy Voremberg Scholarship. She recently graduated from the RCM Masters in Vocal Performance with Distinction (July 2018).
Operatic experience includes:
- Lady Dunmow in Lennox Berkeley’s A Dinner Engagement (current RCMOS production, Forthcoming performances in June/July 2019);
- Suzanne in Offenbach’s Robinson Crusoe (RCMOS, March 2019);
- Marcellina in Mozart’s Le Nozze di Figaro (directed by Sir Thomas Allen, RCMOS December 2018 – watch it now on OperaVision);
- Susan Wheeler in Huw Watkin’s In the Locked Room (RCMOS, July 2018);
- Chief Hen, Inkeeper’s Wife and Chorus for the RCMOS production of Cunning Little Vixen (December 2017);
- Phrygian Woman and Chorus in English Touring Opera’s production of Dardanus (Rameau, October – November 2017);
- La Virtù (L’incoronazione di Poppea, Monteverdi), Angelica (Orlando, Handel) and Fiordiligi (Così fan Tutte, Mozart) in RCM Opera Scenes.
Other recent performance highlights include:
- Soprano soloist with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in Myths and Fairytales at the Cadogan Hall (March 2018);
- Soprano soloist for Welsh National Opera and NEW Sinfonia in the North Wales International Music Festival (September 2017 & 2018);
- Soprano soloist for the NEW Sinfonia New Year Viennese Gala Concerts (January 2018);
- soprano soloist for the Klosters Music Festival (Switzerland, December 2016 and 2017).
Katy has participated in the St. Endellion Easter Festival since 2009, and is now Vice-Chairman of the Festival. Highlights of her performances there include:
- Second Witch in Purcell’s Dido and Aeneas, conducted by Jamie Burton (2011);
- semi-chorus of Janáček’s Diary Of One Who Disappeared, (2012);
- soloist for Vaughan-Williams Serenade to Music, conducted by Eamonn Dougan (2015),
- and she performed James MacMillan’s Three Scots Songs with Christopher Glynn in 2018.
Katy’s exceptional musicianship and love for contemporary music have led to her becoming a sought after artist for new music across the country. She recently featured as the Soprano soloist for the World Premiere of Oliver Tarney‘s St. Mark Passion at the 2019 St. Endellion Easter Festival. In September 2018, Katy was the Welsh National Opera Soprano soloist for the World Premiere of Rebecca Dale‘s Materna Requiem. In May 2015, Katy was the Soprano soloist for the recording of Oliver Tarney’s Magnificat with Convivium Records (now available to purchase on their website: click here). In March 2014 Katy was the soprano soloist for the World Premiere of George Dyson’s Choral Symphony with the New London Orchestra and the London Chorus in St John’s Smith Square, conducted by Ronald Corp.
Passionate about English Song, Katy was thrilled to win second prize in The Patricia Routledge National English Song Competition 2017. For more details of forthcoming performances, click here.
She is generously supported in her studies by The Cross Trust; The Josephine Baker Trust; The Kathleen Trust; The Robertson Trust; and is an H F Music Award Holder at The Royal College of Music, supported by the Rhoddy Voremberg Scholarship.
Please contact Katy directly if you require a biography for a specific event.